BIOECOLOGICAL SYSTEMS THEORY
NATURAL HEALING THERAPIES
CORE CONTINUUM CHILD CARE
At Day One, we take on a truly holistic approach to your child’s changing needs over time.
We recognize your child’s own biology as the primary environment fueling his/her development.
We help address learning difficulties in children caused by common and chronic ailments by applying gentle complementary herbal healing techniques and treatments.
Our philosophy is based on 3 main evolving tenets
A. Bronfenbrenner’s Ecological Systems Theory (renamed the Bioecological Systems Theory)
Urie Bronfenbrenner a well-known developmental psychologist taught at Cornell University for over fifty years.
His theory views a child’s development, over a period of time, with reference to multifarious “strata” and environments, how they correlate with one another and determine as to how they will mature and develop.
B. Integrated Intelligence Menu (IIM)
By synthesizing the Learning Styles theory and Multiple Intelligences theory, we give your child a holistic methodology resulting in superior learning and cognitive development.
Learning styles are basically rooted in differences in the process of learning hence emphasise personality. Some students learn better by “hearing” things while others prefer seeing them. Famous analytical psychologist Carl Jung, developed psychological types to help categorize people in various personality patterns. He outlined four basic psychological functions:
- Extraversion vs. Introversion – Where does your child get their energy and motivation from other people or within themselves?
- Sensation vs. Intuition – Method by which your child receives and processes new information. directly observing the surrounding reality or from the internal or imaginative world?
- Thinking vs. Feeling – Does your child make decisions through logic or what they feel they should do (emotion)?
- Judging vs. Perceiving – How does your child make decisions and implement the information they have processed? Stick to his/her plans or improvise & explore?
The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator method is based on Carl Jung’s theory. Most learning-style theorists agree on four basic styles:
- The Mastery style learner captures information concretely, serially, using clarity and practicality.
- The Understanding style learner deals more with ideas and abstractions. They use questioning, reasoning, testing facets of logic and seek evidence.
- The Self-Expressive style learner is in search of images for learning. They employ feelings and emotions to build new ideas.
- The Interpersonal style learner focuses on concrete, tangible nuggets of information in a social setting and are eager to help others.
The Multiple Intelligences theory defies the notion of a single IQ, which assumes that human beings have one central “computer” to store intelligence.
Howard Gardner, the Harvard professor the originator of this theory, states that there is a variety of human intelligence, each representing distinct methods of processing information.
Both these theories combine understandings from biology, anthropology, psychology, medical case studies, and an examination of art and culture. A simple illustration of assimilating your child’s learning style with their way of processing information: ‘Kinesthetic’ Vocations by Learning Style. Vocations are not exhaustive.
At Day One Academy, we groom your child to be #futureready and facilitate an understanding in you as parents, mentors as to what your central role models are so that you comprehensively understand and nurture your child’s talents, interests, and abilities.
C. Natural Wellness Therapy: